Match & Set
I know, I know, I keep going on about the little wallet pattern by Stitchin’ Post. I love making these wallets and jump at the chance to make more. I’m completing an ensemble set right now, so I have the opportunity to make another one! In fact, I think any bag deserves a little matching wallet from now on. Just me?
So I made this one with vinyl for the outside and the red lips fabric for the inside and pockets to match the rest of the set.
The only (minor) issue I have with this pattern (for me) is that being so small it can be really hard to turn even when using interfaced cotton. Like most bag and wallet patterns, the details are constructed on the inside and then sewn up leaving a small gap to turn the wallet right side out. So it is not a design flaw just a maker flaw.
I was taking a chance that it would be possible to pull the vinyl through. I made the gap as large as I could and then just worked in slowly alternating between pulling and pushing. Definitely possible! But only just.
Okay, I’m gonna come clean. I goofed up by not checking my bobbin thread and ran out half way across top stitching the top. So why not just go over again slowly and going in the same holes you ask? Well, dear reader, I’m a double idiot. Because I was switching between projects, I forgot to put on my Teflon presser foot and the stitch length was uneven and in some spots tiny! It was going to be a mess up anyway.
Also, back-stitching in the middle of top stitching isn’t an option, the only way I could think of to fix this was to try a double-row of stitching. Well, I missed a few “holes” from the previous stitching and they were still visible. What to do?
Well, at this point, I realized that I either start from scratch and make another one or I try to save this cute little wallet. I dug out a Teflon sheet and covered the area on the top and bottom. Then, using my hot little cricut mini press, I applied light pressure and top heat. It was a like a controlled melt. Guess what though – It worked! The holes were gone! Now, I should mention that the Teflon sheet I used has a subtle texture pattern on it that transferred and indented into the vinyl, but it looks kinda cool and quite usable.
Now, I’m not sure if this was luck or if it is a recommended remedy. For me, it was either try it or throw it out and start over so I figured it was worth the try. Your mileage may differ. If you have tried this method (successfully or not), please let me know.