Looks like I’m finally getting over this flu thing and feeling sew much better. And I’m finally getting my sewing bug back! I found this rather interesting fabric that had little ridges all over it and loose black checks. It is very stretchy too. It was in the bargain bin at Fabricland, so I grabbed it.
Thought it might be a challenge to work with and … well, it was. At first the machine just didn’t move over it at all. After sewing in the same spot for a lot of stitches I realized it wasn’t moving and was sewn to the machine. I had to remove the bobbin plate to get the fabric out. I loosened the presser foot a bit and tried again. It went through quite well then but it was a little of a bumpy ride! lol
I decided to do this second RuLo from the George + Ginger Pattern Co. since I just love the triple bell sleeves. The first time I cut the bells wrong and spent so much time trying to figure out how to sew them. Each layer of the bell has a pattern pieces, but they are ADDED to the other pieces not separate pieces, duh. As Monty Python would say in a wobbly voice, “Dear oh dear”. So this time I went forward with gusto on the sleeves.
Hem and Haw
Each of the 6 sleeve parts have to be individually hemmed. This is not normally too big a deal, but with this fabric it was slow and tedious. I used my Singer Quantum 9960 here. Each time I use this machine, it is such a pleasure.
I couldn’t get the neckline right though. It is way too wide. In the end I saw that many wore this top in a layered look so I put a silky black shell underneath. It worked really well and was so comfortable.
Yep, I like this one.