Do I really need this coverstitch machine? I guess I’m about to find out!
I already have a sewing machine – older, but functional. The HuskyStar E10 machine by Husqvarna is basic, but it works well and I have had it for over 20 years now. So, I also have access to a friend’s serger which seems to plow through anything I throw at it. So Hub and I agreed a seasonal gift was in order and the CoverPro 1000 CPX by Janome was selected to join my machine line-up.
Update 2020: Check out my latest post on the Brother CV3440 Coverstitch.
This coverstitch machine literally worked right out of the box. The needles and looper were all threaded with the 3 needles already installed. I sewed a few scraps and found that the machine has a good solid feel to it. I figured the hardest part of using this type of machine would be getting the lines straight, but it wasn’t an issue at all. The lines stayed straight – although I’m not sure if it is due to the presser foot or my improved skill ( I suspect the former).
I must admit, this is not a sew-and-go machine. It takes quite a lot of tweaking to get it to work for different fabrics. On wovens, it is easiest and produces a beautiful stitch! The most difficult part if finding and staying on the edge to enclose the raw edge of the fabric. There are a few tricks with the post-it notes that I employed as well.
YouTube is your friend
So, then I starting fiddling. Taking a big breath, I removed all the thread and re-threaded everything – and it worked! I think that after
fighting working with a serger for the last few months, my improved skills made threading the coverstitch a breeze!
I did practice removing a needle though and accidentally loosened the screw too much and the screw fell out. OMG! What a royal pain to get it back in – it is so tiny; I couldn’t hold it. The stupid thing dropped on the floor, on the table, into the machine itself through the attachment holes – twice! I was getting so frustrated! Using a fridge magnet, I got it back in eventually, but lesson learned – don’t over-loosen the screws so they fall out! I removed and replaced all the other needles and re-threaded each time. There is this really nifty little tool that holds the needle for you while you remove and replace it. Very nice!
First Try with Coverstitch:
I had already been working on a New Year’s Eve outfit – another Laundry Day Tee in red velvet this time. I hadn’t done the hem on it yet so it was a perfect opportunity to test run the double stitch line hem with the CoverPro. Rather than buying more large spools of red thread, I filled and used 2 bobbins with the red thread and the looper with the spool and I was off to the races!
Here is my finished Laundry-Day Tee for New Year’s Eve. Slight modification was to add cuffs to the sleeves. I had originally just loosely turned in a small rolled hem on the crew neck using a herringbone stitch, but when I saw how straight I could make the rows of stitching, I took a chance and did the neck line too. I added the scarf to try out some details to accessorize for the evening. Unfortunately, in the picture I covered up my stitching around the neck. Trust me, though, it is good!
The picture at the top is a close-up of the hem. I left the looper in white which doesn’t show through, but it makes it easy to see the lovely stitch on the inside too.
This is a lovely machine if you want to have beautiful finished hems. However, it is not used in the construction of a garment so it is definitely an add-on only machine.